Monday, September 13, 2010

Salzburg So Far

I have now been in Salzburg for 5 days.  I can't believe that I'm actually here absorbing the richness of this cute fairytale-like town!   Since day 2, I have been completely in love with the town!  The Austrians are so graceful and laid-back and don't appear to be as rushed most Americans are.  And if you think Washington and Oregon are green, come check out the Austrian countryside!  Now that's what I call "EVERGREEN!"  The scenary around here is absolutely amazing!  The water in the lake distict is perfectly still and the hills are definately alive!
My adventures have been incredible within these last few days.  My group arrived here to the Universirty of Portland Center in Salzburg at around 1pm (4AM Pacific time).  After leaving Seattle at 7:30 am, then hopping onto my 9 hour flight in Washington DC to Vienna, and then getting onto a smaller to take us  to Salzburg, I was a pretty exhausted and jet leg once we got there!  And worst of all, I was only able to sleep for about 30 minutes within my 14 hours of flying!  So once we all got to the center, we got our room assignments and all unpacked and got settled in.  The University Center is really nice!  There are two buildings.  The first building is the main building, which is three stories tall and consists of a kitchen, dinning area, living/recreational room, laundry room, and bedrooms on each floor. My roommate Katelynn and I are on the second floor of the main building.  We all get out own bathroom in each room with tile floors and walls and a balcony that looks down at the courtyard (well it's mostly a brick driveway with a basketball hoop, but we just call it the courtyard) which separates the two buildings of the center.  The second builing consists of the classroom and computer room and more bedrooms. Oh, and did I mention that all the flooring downstairs is heated and the staircase is marble?! I'm sorry you guys back at UP, but this place definately beats Fields & Padre!  I must say it's a very sweet deal not having to walk far to class and for meals everyday.  But, we do have to walk a few blocks for lunch.   As part of our meal plan that is included in my study abroad program tuition, we were given lunch cards that will last us all year to go to the commons at AG Salzburg.  AG Salzburg is a big Austrian telecomunications company-kind of like the Austrian version of Broadstripe. Speaking of food, I really like how the Austrians eat.  They eat a lite breakfast of just fruit, yogurt, cereal, and/or toast. They treat lunch as their main meal of the day with a soup, salad, and main dish.  And then for dinner, just a small salad, main course, and dessert.  Quite a well balanced meal compared to Fast Food America! That's why the Europeans are so much healthier.  One thing I have noticed is that they do put A LOT of salt in their soups and stuff.  Makes sense since we are in Salzburg, which means "Salt Mine" in German. 
As of two days ago, I came down with a terrible cold (thanks to my mother for giving it to me!).  We didn't have any tours planned yesterday, so I just stayed at the center all day and got some rest.  Even though I can never take a nap, I slept for about an hour and a half and I woke up feeling much better!  Amazing what sleep will do to you. Last night we got all dressed up for a formal dinner at this nice restuarant in the country side called Laschenskyhof. We had a wonderful dinner with the famous Austrian struedel for dessert.  That gave us the time to get to meet our professors.  So far our professors have been really nice and are extremely knowledgeable in thier areas of studies.  Most of them teach at the University of Salzburg in addition to University of Portland Center.  So I  began my classes for Fall semester today with German, Ethics, and Biblical Traditions and Culture (the 200 level Theology we are required to take).  Then tomorrow, I have Fine Arts, Political Science, and Developmental Muisic in Europe. I really like how our schedule is layed out.  I have three classes a day and only from Monday to Thursday, which is really nice! They do that on purpose so that we have time to travel during the weekends.  For our first weekened trip, a bunch of us will be taking the train the Munich for October Fest!  I've heard it's suppose to be really fun, but still, be sure to think happy thoughts and prayers for me this weekend since I have absolutely no idea what kind of experience that is going to be!  Hahaha! ( :  Well, better go get a start on my homework....sigh. 
Auf Wiedersehn!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds pretty great!!!

    Munich for the weekend...Wow!

    love,

    mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told you that your first visit would be Muenchen for Oktoberfest!! It the first and closest thing to Salzburg. Just remember to take your passport and euros with you. Getting a souvenir stein is the usual thing, but you have 8 months to clutter your room and I wouldn't bother carrying a breakable think around on your first sojourn from the "Zentrum". Prosit and have fun

    Mikey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are having such a great time! Can't wait to hear about the Octoberfest adventures!

    love ya,
    ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sara;
    I have been trying to post a comment, but having trouble. What a fun weekend they have planned. Please keep in touch. I love hearing your news.
    Love, Va.

    ReplyDelete